This workshop is full and is in session.
Next registration opens December 4th at 9am (pacific time)
This groundbreaking workshop will lead students through a number of projects on silk, cotton, linen, wool, and paper. Through contact printing, immersion baths, bundling and binding techniques, and the magic of indigo, this workshop will explore new, uncharted territory on textiles.
In this workshop students will rust print with flat metal and learn bundling techniques to work with sculptural pieces. The class will make two tannin baths to selectively shift colour while working with binding resist. Additional immersion techniques will be taught with ferrous, tannin, and calcium. A special rust-tea bath will be used to give dramatic results on cloth. Finally students will explore the magic of an iron-reduced indigo vat. This is a very creative exploration of the transformative power of materials to create novel marks and patterns.
This workshop is designed to work for you wherever you are in the world. New content becomes available each week over the course of 8 weeks and will remain available for 3 years from the date of purchase. Work as content comes online or at your own pace.
Included in the Workshop:
• 38 evocative instructional videos.
• Concise written instructions and recipes along with downloadable PDFs.
• Access to a robust Q&A section with instructors answering questions 3x a week.
• Work with 7 unique immersion baths including indigo.
• Learn a variety of binding techniques including clamp, wrap, and shaped resist.
• Complete the course with a body of work exploring the remarkable patterning potential of tannins, oxides and indigo.
For more detailed information view our Frequently Asked Questions.
*COURSES ARE PRICED IN US DOLLARS TO PERMIT PAYPAL AND E-PAYMENTS THROUGH TEACHABLE.
NOTE: SUPPLIES ARE SOLD SEPARATELY. SEE DETAILS BELOW ON HOW TO PURCHASE A SUPPLY KIT FOR THIS WORKSHOP OR VIEW THE SUPPLY LIST TO BUILD YOUR OWN.